CheckPoint 323 - Everyone Play Nice
Stories on: Spider-Man, Steam, Fortnite, Elite Dangerous, and Artifact
Date: September 10, 2018
Story Graphics: Paul Saunders
CheckPoint Graphics: Graham Stark
Music: Bradley Rains
Valve's new digital card game Artifact will be fine as long as everyone on the internet is nice to each other.
- There is a movie theatre sign in the new Spiderman game intended as a marriage proposal. The bride-to-be dumped the Spiderman fan a few weeks before the games release, to date his brother.
- Valve have also clarified what constitutes as a "Troll Game". And in short, a Troll Game is made by a Troll Developer. Valve will start investigating "who a developer is, what they have done in the past, their behaviour on Steam as a developer and a customer, their banking information, developers they associate with, and more."
- Valve has changed how search works on Steam. Now if you include or exclude a tag in your search, instead of treating it like a suggestion, Steam will actually include or exlude games matching that tag.
- Epic Games cunning play to keep Google's 30% app revenue for itself has paid off. In the first 21 days of releasing Fortnite as a sideload app from Epics website, they still got 50 million installs on Android.
- In non-EVE space battle news, The Gnosis, a player-owner mega-ship in Elite Dangerous, was going to jump into a previously unexplored region of space called the Cone Sector bringing over 11,000 players with them just to see what was there. When the big day came though, Frontier, Elites developers, accidentally published an article about the in-game aliens the Thargoids intercepting The Gnosis, which hadn't actually happened yet. Read more here, I don't want to type this whole story up again.
- Valve's latest computer game, a digital card game called Artifact, had a public demo at PAX West and the general consensus is that it looks fun and very complicated. Designer Richard Garfield and Programmer Jeep Barnett seem unconcerned with their plan to have un-optional text chat. When asked what tools would exist to moderate the community, Garfield and Barnett had nothing, instead believing the community would be a problem.
MBA 2K19 has a cute little cutscene to apologise for 2K18 using microtransations to charge players for in-game haircuts.
| II |
◀ ●∙∙∙ CheckPoint 322 - All The Fortnite