CommodoreHUSTLE 01 - Laundry
|Not to be confused with the Story Guy episode Laundry.|
The first part of a new ongoing series about guys, girls, games and gorillas. Except there's no gorillas. That would be weird.
Date: October 20, 2008
Editing: Graham Stark
The plot has many interweaving stories involving the crew as exaggerated versions of themselves.
Matt, outraged over a slight increase in laundry prices, heads to his parents' place to do laundry. He later takes his XBox 360 with him so he can 'play' Eternal Sonata while he's waiting for the dryer. He returns home shaking his now broken XBox 360 (See CommodoreHUSTLE 02 - Red) and then discovers that someone has eaten his waffles.
James inadvertently puts his iPhone in the washing machine and no one is able to contact him, causing some confusion. He passes through the stages of grief very quickly, although he forgoes overindulging in summer squash.
Kathleen, Jer and Morgan had gone out the previous evening to celebrate Jer finishing his school paper on Castlevania. Morgan spends the night hitting on a hideous girl (played by Kathleen) despite Jeremy and Kathleen's warnings. When Morgan sobers up and realizes his mistake he abandons the girl at his house and hides out at James' place. He has also somehow come into possession of Jer's cell phone instead of his (which he lost the night before) while Jer has Morgan's bike keys to keep him from driving drunk. Unable to contact Jer, Morgan proceeds to search for him in the most unlikely places and then resorts to a missing person flyer campaign. He finally accidentally runs into Jer at Graham's apartment, reclaims his keys, and heads to work, despite the fact that he doesn't work that day.
Bill wakes up to find the hideous girl in Morgan's room and tricks her into leaving the house by leaving a trail of processed cheese slices out the front door, which the hideous girl eagerly follows out. Satisfied, he bites into a cheese slice himself, only to be disappointed when he fails to take off the wrapper.
Graham and Paul discus the future of the website, having the intention of turning into more of a 'thing' although they aren't actually sure how to go about it yet. They decide to discus it over dinner with Kathleen and Jeremy when Jer discovers one of Morgan's missing person posters.
- As the title suggests, this is the first commodoreHUSTLE video.
- Initially someone else was penned to play Morgan's one-night-stand, but when they ducked out at the last minute, Kate was asked. Kate was unable to and, at her suggestion, Kathleen stepped in. The images showing both from the night before were made in Photoshop. The profile of Kathleen's face can clearly be seen as she looks around after entering Morgan's room at 12:22.
- This video was first screened at the LoadingReadyRun Fifth Anniversary Screening
- The living arrangement in the series mirrors the actual living arrangements of the crewmembers: Matt & Graham, James with Ben and Adam, Bill & Morgan, Paul, and Jer.
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Morgan and Bill's favorite book, can be seen in the lost and found box.
- Many of the events depicted in the episode are based on real events which happened to members of the crew. Examples mentioned in the DVD commentary and podcasts:
- Matt did start doing his laundry at his parent's house in response to a cost increase.
- James did accidentally wash his iPhone.
- Morgan had recently passed out and had been scribbled upon with a Sharpie.
- Graham and Paul's discussion of ridiculing Eternal Sonata's overlong cutscenes could possibly be a foreshadowing of their first show with the Escapist, Unskippable, the second episode of which was, of course, Eternal Sonata.
- Spot the Dog appears in the lost and found box, and later in the window of Graham and Matt's apartment.