Friday Nights: Politics
The Alex Initiative seeks support as the Loading Ready Run crew do battle with Commander.
Date: November 5, 2013
Category: Friday Nights
Boom: Brendan "Beej" Dery
Music: Bradley Rains
Thanks To: Trick Jarrett
The episode opens with Alex soliciting Graham to join the "Alex Initiative" for that night's commander game, in attempt to gather a group of allies to guarantee victory. Graham refuses his offer, and Alex then asks James to join. James, too, refuses, saying that he is not playing that night, instead opting to construct a cube with some of his old cards.
Graham, Kathleen, Alex, Paul, and Jer sit down to begin their commander game, slightly frustrated by the small size of the table. As with the previous commander game in In Command, they begin with a roll call of their decks.
- Jer is playing a deck called "Now You See Me, Now You Don't", and is once again intentionally vague about its meaning.
- Kathleen is playing a faerie-themed deck that she calls "Doodooloodoodoo..." (an attempt to sing the song "Flight of the Bumblebee").
- Alex's deck is called "Mountain Men", referring to his commander's ability to make "Mountain" cards into creatures.
- Paul and Graham both bought the same preconstructed deck, both on the basis of the fact that the commander is a "Bird Wizard".
Jer's deck quickly reveals the meaning of its name when, for various reasons, none of his exceedingly powerful creatures can be targeted by spells or abilities. The other four players begin to gang up on him, and Alex capitalizes on the alliances to further promote the "Alex Initiative". While initially reluctant, Graham, Kathleen, and Paul realize that they have to unify under Alex to defeat Jer. However, Jer continues to have a consistently lucky draw, resisting some of their most effective attacks. At the conclusion of the video, he uses a Planeswalker ability to restart the entire game, leaving the ultimate conclusion unknown. When the pizza Graham orders for the group arrives, he and Kathleen pull out a retractable lief in the table, to the frustration of the others who found the small size of the play space irritating.
Meanwhile, Cam joins James at the latter's house to begin constructing a cube. Not wanting to spend a lot of money or time acquiring new cards, James has resolved to build a "pauper cube" of exclusively "Common" cards. However, as their discussion progresses, the idea evolves into a "backdraft" cube, created from the most worthless possible cards assembled in such a manner so that it is difficult to build a cohesive deck at all. In order to fetch a card needed to complete it, James eventually ventures into the Moonbase (which is being fumigated for an unknown but apparently horrific reason).
- This is the only piece of LoadingReadyRun media in which Cam can be seen wearing a t-shirt (the flashback to the "not fun" commander game).
- Production error: When Graham and Paul are introducing their decks, they are both using white sleeves; however, in subsequent shots, Paul is using black sleeves and Graham is using black-bordered sleeves with a pattern.
- Script errors: there are several inconsistencies in the gameplay of the commander deck. Kathleen does not draw on the turn during which she mills Jer for ten. When Graham goes to get the pizza, they simply skip his turn; Paul then passes the turn to Jer even though it was never indicated that Alex' turn had ended.