CheckPoint 333 - Bungo Pls
Stories on: Kingdom Hearts 3, Unity, Bungie/Activision, and Gearbox
Date: January 14, 2019
Story Graphics: Paul Saunders
Music: Bradley Rains
One of today's stories discusses some explicit content. It's not the Destiny story.
- Square Enix has laid out a roadmap for post-launch Kingdom Hearts III content. On January 29th, launch day, an online update will the Memory Archive, that will allow players to view a synopsis of the series up to this point. On January 30th the Epilogue Video will be released. And then, if you've beaten the game, watched the Epilogue, and satisfied certain conditions during your playthrough, you can watch the "secret movie" they're adding on the 31st.
- Last week Unity updated it's terms of service around streaming and cloud gaming restrictions. The changes meant SpatialOS, the cloud hosting service for multiplayer games, was now against Unity's ToS which is a big problem for Improbable, the company that makes SpatialOS, but also an absolutely huge problem for any developer who has used SpatialOS for their Unity-based game. Luckily for Improbable, SpacialOS is stilll fine if your developing for Unreal or CryEngine. And to that end, Epic, makers of the Unreal engine, have stepped in to help, working with Improbable to start a $25 million development assistance fund to help developers stop using Unity and start using Unreal.
- Bungie announced last week that they were ending their 8 year relationship with Activision and would be assuming publishing rights to their Destiny franchise.
- In a 6 minute long segment, Graham takes a deep dive on the history of Bungie's relationships with both Microsoft and Activision, explaining why the split isn't necessarily a good thing.
- In November, Gearbox filed a a suit against it's former General Counsel Wade Callendar claiming he exploited Gearbox's generosity and trust for his own gain. On December 21st, Callendar filed a countersuit.
- Ed.: The exact details of the case are less than palatable, and we don't recommend you look them up. We won't repeat them here.
Among the changed to Red Dead Online is a bounty system where players who commit crimes get a bounty on their head and if they don't pay it off, other players can come and kill them for the reward.
| II |
◀ ●∙∙∙ CheckPoint 332 - Takedown To The Stars