AskLRR March 2020 - Cool Technology!
The eighth episode of AskLRR (YouTube Membership Exclusive).
Date: April 7, 2020
Board by: Paul Saunders
Produced by: Heather Dery
Description: You asked us questions, so Paul, Ian and Ben sat down to answer them. There was lots to talk about technology wise, a couple beard related questions, and a little talk about cheesy 80's music.
Paul behind the scenes
MrTwansel asks: Paul, I'm curious, what do you do behind the scenes?
- Paul: Boring administrative stuff, stream overlays, technical setup that makes sense to everyone.
- Ian: At least a few of us have streaming setups modeled on what's set up here.
- Ben: You also make all of the widgets, e.g. the Card Reader, the Coin Flipping app.
Worst technical issue
Samuraitiger19 asks: What was the worst technical issue that yyou have encountered in your many years of doing this?
- Paul: Getting the editing part of The Crapshoot working.
- Ian: Trying to adapt old technologies to stream.
- Ben: Moving from a stage lighting to a stream lighting perspective.
Cheesy 80's songs
Drummi asks: What is your favorite cheesy 80's song?
- Paul: Now I want Ian's answer.
- Ian: Feargal Sharkey - You Little Thief.
- Ben: Starship - We Built This City (on Rock and Roll).
Beards, beards, beards
Eric Choinière asks: As someone with not much facial hair: when did you all grow out your beard for the first time?
- Paul: Immediately after high school.
- Ian: During a vacation to Thailand while teaching in Japan.
- Ben: As soon as I could grow a full beard.
Moving from Alberta to Victoria
Thomas Hederman asks: Ian and Ben, was there any strange adjustments when you moved from Alberta to Victoria?
- Ian: Terminology, e.g. 'Strata' v 'Condo board'. Visited Vancouver less.
- Ben: A lot more water outside. How close everything is in Victoria. A very different climate.
Pär Moberg asks: I can deduce that the Commodore 64 was a big part of the childhood of Paul and Graham, hence LRR; so Ben, Ian (and Paul) which computer or computers are childhood for you?
- Paul: Macintosh Plus.
- Ian: Macintosh LC520.
- Ben: Something in the same realm as Ian, but Windows 95.
grennysohail asks: What is one technology that you want to incorporate into LRR but cannot due to restraints?
- Paul: A centralized production booth for all the studios.
- Ian: Computer controlled cameras. Changed to the 360° LED screens like was used in the filming of The Mandalorian.
- Ben: Robotic lighting.
Pinball Witch asks: Paul, is there any particular reason you don't use social media?
- Paul: I don't have anything in particular I want to tell everyone all the time and I see a lot of the downside.
Beard dye color
nooDy093 asks: If you had to dye your beard, what color would you choose (that isn't your natural beard color)?
- Paul: Black-light responsive.
- Ian: Shock white. If I'm dyeing this beard, I'm going full wizard.
- Ben: Glow-in-the-dark.
| I I |
◀ ●∙∙∙ AskLRR February 2020 - The Good Place AskLRR April 2020 - Often Hilarious ∙∙∙● ▶
Watch AskLRR March 2020 - Cool Technology! Listen to AskLRR March 2020 - Cool Technology!