Ways to Avoid Surveillance
Sssssh! They're listening!!
Date: August 25, 2014
Category: X Ways To Y
Camera: James Turner
Editing: Graham Stark
Executive Producers: Andrew "Omega Lairon" Paye, Rachel Bradford and Christian "Imat" Johnson
Alex plays a man concerned that the NSA is watching him. He attempts various methods to evade from prying eyes in his digital life:
- Avoid Social Network Breaches - more of a cautionary tale; Alex is shown taking a selfie with a file labelled "Top Secret", writing in the caption that he "found a bug" in his house and revealing the exact location of where he plans to move next.
- Get a Better Password - split up over three consecutive segments; Alex is shown checking his password using the real website http://howsecureismypassword.net and using increasingly complicated methods of input to generate a new one, finally hammering out a completely 20-some character combination using three keyboards at once.
- Hide from Satellites - Instead of walking on the sidewalk, Alex duck-walks on the grass beneath a cardboard picture of turf meant to camouflage him from anything trying to take pictures from overhead.
- Camoflauge - Alex obtains an invisibility cloak, but it does not cover him completely and it completely obscures his vision.
- Use Tunneling Protocols - Alex tries to hide in a cave, but finds he cannot get internet reception.
- Hire a Double - Alex pays a Beej in order for them to disguise themselves as each other.
- Use Code Words - Alex attempts to send a text to James using coded language, but it is so obscure that James cannot begin to read it.
- Overload Surveillance Vectors - Alex begins tweeting incessantly about every minute detail of his life in the hopes that surveyors will not be able to catch important information in the tide.
- Get Off the Grid - Alex attempts to hide in the woods, but when he attempts to get a signal he finds that there is a Starbucks a few feet away from him.
The stinger shows the display of a drone ("#23 'Sam Raimi'") following Alex from behind and ducking behind a bush when he senses something behind his back.
- Production error: Greenscreen errors can be seen in the reflection of Alex's glasses during the cave segment.
Season Eleven X ways to Y
◀ ●∙∙∙Antiquing Third Wheel Dating ∙∙∙● ▶