CommodoreHUSTLE 06 - Viral
The crew needs to get more viral. But not in the way you are thinking. That would be gross.
Date: March 2, 2009
Appearing: Graham Stark, Paul Saunders, Kathleen De Vere, Matt Wiggins, James Turner, Jeremy Petter, Morgan vanHumbeck, Bill Watt, Adam Savidan, Geoff Howe, Tim Sevenhuysen, Ben Wilkinson, Raymond Steacy
Editing: Graham Stark
Thanks To: YO Video
At a panel at Kei Kon, Paul screens a video about the LRR crew saving the internet from Arthur B Borington (Jer), the creator of the world's most boring website. Returning from the panel, James leaves with Adam to camp outside the mall for Diablo III and Starcraft 2, even though there is no release date for either. Graham, Paul and Kathleen rent some anime, and Geoff overhears where they will be shooting. At the shoot, a Warriors of Darkness video, Matt suggests that LoadingReadyRun put their videos up on YouTube as a way to get more views, but Graham is utterly disgusted at the idea. Unbeknownst to them Geoff is filming their shoot. Morgan and Bill, not surprisingly, forget to go to the shoot but run into Adam and James at the mall. Rather than dissuade them, they question the logistics of camping out for an indeterminate, very long time.
Matt has found out that someone has been filming the crew and posting it on YouTube. Distressingly these videos have been getting more views than LRR videos have. Deciding that Youtube could get them more views but also that LoadingReadyRun is too smart for the internet, Graham swallows his pride and the crew decides to make a series of fake viral videos. The crew heads to the mall to enlist their missing crew member. Much to Adam's chagrin, James decides that LRR is more important than Aiur.
- Arthur B. Borington's site is real, located at http://www.borington.com. It contains a podcast with Paul reading the phone book for 20 minutes.
- The panel scene was shot at Kei Kon 2009. It was shot at the screening as opposed to the panel proper as Jer was unable to attend the panel.
- This commodoreHUSTLE coincided with the launch of the commodoreHUSTLE website http://commodorehustle.com/
- Despite Graham saying that they will be filming in the MacLaurin building at UVic none of this video was shot there.
- This is due to the scene at Yo Video being shot first, with the assumption that the MacLaurin building (a frequent location) would indeed be used.
- Rather than filming outside a real mall the crew felt it was easier to film the camping scenes outside the SUB at UVic.
- The Caturday poster was made for the video, featuring Kathleen's cat.
- Spot the Dog can be seen on the bookshelf when Bill is filming his viral video.
- The videos shown being made by the crew in the ending montage are real videos that were actually uploaded on YouTube. More information can be found at "Operation: Viral Outbreak".
- The LRRcast for this video explains that Kathleen's appearance is an allusion to Gaia from Captain Planet. The comparisons to Zordon from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers are less accurate, as Zordon "never actually appeared in the sky" (though he did once in Season 3).
- StarCraft II was released 1 year, 3 months and 25 days after this episode.
- Diablo III was released 3 years, 2 months and 13 days after this episode.